Thursday, October 19, 2006

Didn't You Know?

Turns out that setting crazy big goals for yourself entitles you to buy stuff. Who knew?

Not me. But I now believe with all my heart that somehow this new, lavender weight bench is going to help me reach my goals. Ahem. It was on sale (huge sale), it matches my studio walls, and er, well - I wanted it really, really badly.

In truth I almost got a (boring) weight bench in June. I did get the weights. I have used them a few times - but not as much as I thought I would. I LOVE to lift at the gym and I cannot afford either the time or the money for a gym right now. (My gym used to be open 24 hours and I would work out at 4:30 am and be home by 6. They've changed that and in addition to costing significantly more a month, now the gym doesn't open until 5:30, which is waaaay too late for me to get a work out in and be home before my family wakes up.) I thought that if I got weights I would work out at home - but a bed (especially one your husband is still sleeping in) and an office chair do not make good weight bench substitutes. So, obtaining an actual weight bench has been on my list for a while. I thought that by putting it out there to the universe, a free or at least relatively cheap one would happen my way. And I kept coming close. Two or three times I found out about someone giving one away the day or the week after they finally dumped it.

Yesterday I decided to go check out the new sporting goods store that opened last week. (It opened directly across the street from the old sporting goods store and Mayhem's comment was that the old store was sure to be pissed. He told me that we should find another street to drive on. "??" said my raised eyebrow. "Mom, I don't want to be in the middle of them! They both sell HUNTING equipment!") I braved the potential feud. The new store is fantastic. It is clean, open, well lit and well stocked. There were people to help me find the right section, there were people to answer my questions and BONUS, the people who answered my questions actually knew what they were talking about! Also, did I mention that my new weight bench was discounted 70% off retail? <--I realize that means my actual savings was probably only about 15%. However, I only paid about $30 more than I was going to pay for a flat (big, black) bench with no weights. This one is smaller, yet sturdier; it transitions easily between flat, incline, and upright; it came with the weights; and do you see how purple it is?? I LOVE that it's purple.

The Ninja Princessa and Havoc both helped me put the bench together and unpack the weights. We decided (because we're geeky like this) to add up the weight and Havoc's eyes LIT UP when we got to the total - 56lbs. "56 is my favorite number!" he declared. "It is?" I said. "Didn't you know that?" "As a matter of fact, I had no idea. Is this a new thing? And why, exactly, do you like 56 so much?" "Mom, it's been my favorite number since the Ninja Princessa and Mayhem were in the third grade!" (Translation= "Since FOREVER.") "56 is so cool because 7 times 8 is 56 AND 8 times 7 is 56. Lots of people have trouble with that. And now 56 is even better because two 10's plus two 8's plus two 5's plus two 3's plus two 2's is 56! 56 is awesome."

Chaos was unimpressed by either the grand total of 56 lbs or the purple. I don't think he'll be begging to have the weight bench moved to his room. Mayhem cannot be bothered to pay attention to anything inside the house. "Uh. Cool. Can I go ride my bike?" The purple was a bonus for the Princessa and she asked if she could lift weights on it 'sometime' and then wandered off to write in her journal. Havoc? The second we finished assembling it, he wanted to work out. I let him. I showed him one exercise and we talked about proper form. He adjusted the bench just so and then earnestly began hoisting 3 lb weights. "Hey Mom! SIX pounds total!" Look out Arnold Schwarzenegger!

And Lilymane? We-e-e-ll. I have to say I was too self-conscious to lift in front of my family, but they're all gone now and just as soon as I finish this post I'm going to turn on some music and see if I remember how to work out!
Peace.

No comments: