Monday, February 11, 2008

Our New Thing

Thanks to our buddies C is for Coffee and Salsa Man - we are recession-proofing our pantry. (The nod also has to go to Grant and Sandra who tried unsuccessfully to infect us with the savings bug years ago!) I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned that we signed up for The Grocery Game last month. Our goal has been to save more than we spend. We did that once on a small run to the store where we saved $38 and paid $31. We're getting closer on the big, weekly shopping trips but we're not quite there yet. Still, looking at the receipt where we paid $153 and saved $110? Happiness making.

What are we doing with all that fabulous "extra" money? Err, paying the lawyers. Bleck.

It does feel a bit like no matter how much we save right now, we won't be able to get out of the hole. To counter that, I look at the pantry overflowing with food and I celebrate the abundance in our life. I am trying to get myself to the thrift store to donate the clothes we've been culling from the overflowing closets. I want to keep good things flowing to and and through our home. Getting kick ass bargains on food we eat anyway makes me feel powerful and responsible. Giving what we can no longer use to someone who needs it makes me feel connected and aware. Being intentional in one area gives me energy to stay open and intentional in other areas.

It's a little mysterious how using a $.75 (which doubles to $1.50) on a tube of toothpaste (which was 1/2 price already) can help me get to the post office (which if you know anything about me - you know I am, for all intents and purposes, permanently disabled in the postal department.) I cannot explain it. You'll have to take it on faith. (And maybe wait to believe it until you see the valentine I mailed you.) Peace!

No comments: